Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The big event for today was going to the library. It was the first time that we had gone since we moved here and maybe the first time since Danielle was born, so I was excited to do something different and fun.

Unfortunately, the trip didn't turn out to be as fun as I was hoping. It's so hard to go anywhere because Danielle generally wakes up from her nap at around 11:30 AM and then the kids usually go down for their afternoon nap at around 1 PM. Often, I put them down later, but sometimes if I try to push the afternoon nap back, I get a very cranky Buddy. Such was the case today.

There was a train table at the library, and Jaden was not being very good at sharing. When he started pushing Danielle out of the way, I decided it was time to go home. Unfortunately, at the thought of going home, he had a MAJOR meltdown. He started crying and trying to push the wooden bench over onto me. At that point, I told him that pushing the bench over would get him a spanking and he started yelling "No spankings, Mommy! No spankings!" I'm sure that everyone in the library thought that I was this horrible child-abusing mother. He would not be calmed down no matter what I did - I was, of course, trying to talk to him as calmly as possible and to reason with him, but it was not working at all. And, of course, I couldn't just pick him up and walk out with him because I had to carry Danielle (who was also fussing at this point). Finally, we somehow managed to get out of the library (with a few books), but by that point, I was pretty much frazzled beyond belief.

Ah well - we came home and Jaden went to bed, but of course, didn't sleep. He didn't go to sleep until after 3:30! I don't know how to manage his nap anymore. Lately, he gets crabby by 2:00 if he isn't in bed by then, but then he doesn't fall asleep until 3 or later. I can't let him sleep past 5 or he'd never go to bed at night. It's very annoying. Oh well. Guess that's just life for now.

When everything was said and done, Jaden loved the dinosaur books that I got for him. So, I guess the trip to the library was a success after all. From now on, we'll use the bookmobile, which comes to our neighborhood every week - How cool!

Well, I guess that's it for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home