Thursday, March 09, 2006

We went to go see Wicked today. What an awesome show! Scott really loved it, which I was happy about because he hadn't been that excited to see it. Now, he says he wishes we could see it again!

Scott stayed home today, since he had to do some work from home in the morning and he was going to have to leave at 3:00 anyway. Plus, that way we were able to finish watching The Wizard of Oz before we went to see the show. It turned out to be a really good thing that we did - Wicked was VERY interrelated with the movie and Scott wouldn't have understood a lot of things if he hadn't watched it (I might have even missed a few things). We left for downtown at 4:00 so that we wouldn't have to stress about the drive. It worked out really well. We got there very early, but we just ate some dinner at Arby's and then went to the bookstore that was right next to the theatre. It was a great way to pass the time.

One of the first things that we noticed when we got into the theatre was the large dragon up above the stage. I could tell that it was going to move - Scott didn't believe me at first, but that was the first thing that happened when the orchestra started playing. The dragon's head moved around and smoke came out of his nostrils and his eyes lit up. It was really cool.

We saw an understudy for Glinda, but she did a really good job. The whole show was just really enjoyable. I'm so glad that I hadn't heard anything specific about the show because I was REALLY surprised when Elphaba was alive at the end of the show. Scott loved how the show took a familiar story and completely twisted it into something different. I really enjoyed the fact that the show was not what I was expecting - I thought that I was going to be seeing a play about how the Wicked Witch of the West became wicked. I expected to feel sorry for the witch and to understand how she became what she was. But, in Wicked, Elphaba never did turn evil - people just thought she was because that's what they were told. The play turned events in the original movie around so that Elphaba was really good all along and was just "acting" evil in order to plot her escape. In fact, she was the most pure character in the play. It was really interesting. I now really want to read as much as I can about the play and the original story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home